6 September 2020 - DESMOND FATAI OLADAPO - GUEST AUTHOR AND POET



DESMOND FATAI OLADAPO 
- GUEST AUTHOR AND POET -

G'day folks,

I'm pleased to interview my first guest from Nigeria.

Welcome, Desmond ...





1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

Thank you. My name is Fatai Oladapo, I am an author, a poet and political scientist. The journey started after I finished my first degree and I found out that there are still a lot to learn outside being a political scientist. I started buying books from foreign literature like homo sapien: the history human kind by Noah Harari to the local books like Half of a yellow sun by Chinamanda Ngozi Adichie that aided my quick learning and also which brought out the best in me.


1.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

It started five years ago when I was with my uncle constructing a three storey building for his friend near a coast.while we were there I started observing the behavior of crabs both the ones that reside on land close to water and those ones in the deep water. From there I started studying and writing.

2.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?

Whenever I get a new idea of something, I will first write out my sub headings which portray where and how to go about it and further collating them together for proofreading.

3.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

I like and enjoy learning about new ideas


4.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

The hardest thing being a writer is when to start writing.


5.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

I was a broker, sold used foreign cars.


6.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

Being recognized by people of all category around the world.





7.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

Now, I am writing a story of a Chadian girl who left her country for greener pasture in Nigeria.


8.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

My brother (Saidi) was my mentor. Made me believe anything I can think of is possible.


9.   WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

Fiction and nonfiction


10.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Yes, if you want to be a writer don't procrastinate just start writing, soon you will be better.



11.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

No, I write any time I am inspired.


12.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

No, I don't I write anywhere I find reason to write.


13.              WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

That I have touched so many lives.


14.              WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

Actually, I don't have a favorite. When it's interesting I keep reading.


15.              WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

Being recommended by the Nigeria finance minister was a great deal.



16.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

You are right, it was like a movie when I started writing about myself. My story touch souls.


17.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

I love footballing


18.              DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

Yes I did, I have creative people doing that for me.





19.              DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

Everyday is perfect.


20.              IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?

Jesus Christ. I will thank him for given me the grace to be great.


21.              WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?

Make peace and be prudent.



22.              WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

My plan is to tutor young men and women on the importance of writing because words bring and create change.




23.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

Yes I did, especially in my book "How Time Flies".


24.              DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

No, because today's method of publishing is easy with self Publishing, you don't have a problem distributing across various channels.


25.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

No, I can't ever think of that. This is my life.


26.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

All my manuscripts are great. So, I don't have problem with one.


27.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.

Success is touching lives and making the world a better place.


28.              WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?

Of course, that would be awesome.






29.              HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

It's quite strenuous but creativity is the answer.



30.              WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

To be a leading author and poet.



31.                WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?


Since there are numerous channels to market, it's now quite easy to market since many readers prefer soft copy rather than hard copy in this modern time.


32.               ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

I uses both self Publishing and traditional Publishing company.



33.              DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.


Creative, intelligent, prudent, loving, and team player.



34.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

Breakthrough thinking by Shozo Hibini



35.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?

Be yourself


36.               WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE TO SHARE?

Nothing more than writing


37.               ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

If you want to find a way make sure you know where you are going.

Thank you, Clancy.




Clancy's comment: Well done, Desmond. Glad you have been my guest. Keep writing.

I'm ...





















No comments:

Post a Comment