20 May 2015 - T W LAWLESS - Guest Author



T W LAWLESS

- Guest Author -

G'day folks,

Welcome to my interview with another Australian author who writes thrillers. T W was born and raised in outback Australia but currently lives in Melbourne. He was a health professional for many years but always wanted to write books. During his time in the health field he studied creative writing, screenwriting and film- making. His first book was Homecountry which was published in early 2013 and became an Amazon Best Seller. Thornydevils was released in May 2014. His third Peter Clancy thriller, Blurline, is set for release in March 2015. 

Welcome, T W ....

1.    TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.
I didn't write my first book until 2012. Before that, there were years of agonising over what creative field to venture into. I tried a few, from composing music to writing screenplays. I finally settled on writing books. 

2.    WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?
              I took the leap of faith to write and publish a book in 2012 when my wife wrote her first      book and I was getting treated for thyroid cancer. 

3.     WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP? 
               I do lots of research.  I do interviews occasionally. I then write a plot and chapter outline and a profile of the characters.  Even though I do a thorough plan of the book, I still allow spaces for improvisation.


4.    WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
             The creative process is exciting. Sometimes it's hard to stop when you're on a roll.  I like gems that come from nowhere such as witty dialogue.


5.    WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
The editing process can go on and on but it has to be tight, it has to look professional



6.    WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?
            I was a Registered Nurse for twenty-five years. You meet some interesting characters and get involved in horrific situations but it was a good training ground for someone who wanted to be a thriller writer.  


7.    WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?
When my first book, Homecountry, became an Amazon best seller.

8.    WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I should be working on an outline of the fourth Peter Clancy book but I can't get motivated at present. It'll come.

9.    WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
              Injustice, dark places, interesting characters. 
               



10. WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?
              Thrillers.


11. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?
              Write every day. Read every day. Don't get put off by negativity. Always be professional. 


12. DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?
Occasionally. I go for long walks or talk things through with my wife.

13. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?
I always write in the morning after a couple of coffees. I can't do it at night.

14. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?
            I have a cramped office full of books and guitars. My cat lies in a cardboard box next to me.  He makes sure I stick to the desk for a few hours.           


15. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?
             The actual process of writing. I'm always amazed by the fact that I can create an imaginary world and inhabit it with interesting characters. 


16. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?
Frederick Forsyth.  He does meticulous plotting and uses factual events which I like.  I like how his books read like investigative stories. 

17. WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?
            They couldn’t put the book down.

18. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?
           
When they focus on Peter Clancy's lifestyle; he swears too much or drinks too much. I think they've missed a great story. He’s a journalist not a Buddhist Monk.



19. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU
The first book was more me. Part of it was set on a cattle station. I lived on one as a kid. As for the other books, there’s only a little of me there.

20. OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
 My family and music.

21. DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?
Always. The covers and the book covers are done by professionals. 

22. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
It would have to involve living in a house overlooking the sea. I’d write in the morning and go to the beach in the afternoon.  




23. IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?
                    My wife. No one else would put up with me.


24. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?
                     Stop destroying the world.   


25. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
            To keep writing. I want to write at least six more Peter Clancy thrillers.


26. WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?
The Grapes of Wrath, Trinity, The Bible, My Dark Places, Under Milk Wood, The Day of the Jackal.

27. DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?
             Occasionally I see myself as Peter Clancy but his lifestyle would wear me out. 


28. DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?
They seem to tread a well-worn path and don't encourage new talent.  

29. DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?
              Of course, but I have great books to write. Writing is the only way I can deal with the world and maintain my sanity.  




30. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?
Blurline. It was the most complex of the three books I've written.  I t was an enjoyable book to write.

31.  HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.
I could say when I can buy a house in the south of France. No, I define success as the ability to keep writing and publishing. The big break will come and so will the French house. I promised my wife. 


32. WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?
Despite being a hard-living, flawed character, Peter Clancy has a big heart and a big sense of justice. The endings should always surprise you too. 



33. HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

Lots.   They must catch the reader’s eye. 

34. WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?
To make a good living from writing. To have a few awards thrown my way would be great also.



35.   WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?
Peter Clancy is the brand. Jennifer Douglas and I are developing the Peter Clancy fan club at the moment. 


36.  ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

Yes. I like the control. I publish under my own banner, Campanile Publishing. I even have a logo. I’m a total professional.

37. DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.
Mad, Bad, Dangerous, Edgy, Dark. Well, not really. I’d like to think so. No, I’m more, anxious, meticulous, tenacious with occasional lapses of humour.

38. WHAT PISSES YOU OFF MOST?
               Injustice. Rednecks.



39. WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

Blurline. It's the third in the Peter Clancy series. It's my best work.  Very complex, very dark, occasionally funny. The way I like to write.



40.  WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?
As the warm water of the Mediterranean embraced him, Peter felt at total peace.   

                   41.WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE         TO SHARE?

That I can buy that house for my wife in the south of France.

                     42. ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?


                         Don’t get up if you think you have a story that needs to be shared with the world.
            


 




Clancy's comment: Thank you, TW. Well done. Love the answer to number 38. Keep going. Happy to join your fan club.

I'm ...











No comments:

Post a Comment