Time to fly the national flag and look at some famous Aussies.
- Kylie Minogue – Actress and singer
- Sir Donald Bradman – Cricketer who dominated the game in 1930s and 1940s. Finishing with a test average of 99.94 Bradman was so far ahead of his contemporaries, that no one has come close to his dominance. A quintessentially modest Australian rural boy, who drew great admiration from beyond the game of cricket.
- Saint Mary MacKillop – Saint. Looked after orphaned children and Aboriginal children in Australia’s outback.
- Sir Howard Florey – Helped develop Penicillin
- John Curtin – Australian Prime Minister during World War Two.
- Andrew Banjo Paterson – Australia’s Bush poet. Composer of ‘Waltzing Matilda’ popular Australian song.
- Paul Hogan – Actor/ Comedian
- Edith Cowan – Campaigner for women’s and children’s rights. The first women to enter Parliament
- Shane Warne - cricketer
- Sir Henry Parkes – Established Federal Convention in 1891 bringing the different states together as one country.
- Sir Charles Kingsford Smith – Flying pioneer. In 1928, made the first trans-Pacific flight from America to Australia.
- The Rev Dr John Flynn – Founder of Royal Flying Doctor Service – visiting patients in the outback by plane
- Sir Marcus Oliphant. – Inventor who helped develop magnetron for Radar, and the Nuclear Bomb
- Olivia Newton-John – Singer/ Actress
- Naomi Watts – Actress
- Sir John Monash – Military commander who restored pride after initial failings at Gallipoli.
- Bob Hawke – Prime Minister
- Eddie Mabo – Aboriginal who challenged the idea of ‘terra nullius’ and helped eventually win land rights for Aboriginals
- Allan Border – cricketer
- Robert Menzies – Prime Minister
- Sister Elizabeth Kenny – Revolutionised the treatment of polio patients.
- Rupert Murdoch – Media Mogul
- Evonne Goolagong – Tennis Player
- Cathy Freeman – Aboriginal
who was face of the 2000 Sydney Olympics
- Dame Elisabeth Mudoch – (philanthropist)
- Germaine Greer (feminist, writer) – World famous writer and famous.
- Cate Blanchett (actress)
- Dame Joan Sutherland (singer ) One of greatest bel canto opera singers
- Clive James – (writer, broadcaster)
- John Bradfield (engineer) and designer of one of Australia’s most recognisable structures.
- Greg Norman – golf
- Albert Jacka – Military hero in Gallipoli World War One
- Caroline Chisholm – Helped migrant women to find decent accommodation and better conditions in early Nineteenth Century
- Betty Cuthbert – Olympic track gold medallist.
- Heath Ledger – Actor
- Nicole Kidman – Actress
- Steve Irwin – Crocodile Hunter
- Ian Thorpe – Swimmer
- Geoffrey Rush – Actor
- Rod Laver – Tennis Player
- Clancy Tucker – Aspiring author & photographer
- John Hickman - Gentleman extraordinaire.
- Lorraine Cobcroft - Writer with exceptional talent.
Clancy's comment: That's just a few, folks. Sadly, our sports men and women receive more fame and glory than many others who also make, or have made, a massive contribution.
Post a Comment