9 December 2019 - DAVID ARDUSER - GUEST AUTHOR & PUBLISHER





DAVID ARDUSER
 - GUEST AUTHOR & PUBLISHER -

G'day folks,

Today, I interview an interesting multi-genre author and publisher.

Welcome, David ...



1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

I began writing my first novel when I was fourteen. When most kids were outside playing, I was writing on my novel. I've finally published this novel (which is my third publish, called SilverForged: Crucible), though it has one through several rewrites since then. I wrote through high school, and stopped through college. A few years ago, I took up writing again, and after dozens and dozens of rejections from querying agents, I decided to self-publish.


2.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

As stated above, I started writing when I was fourteen. I just had a story I had to tell, and knew what I wanted to write about.


3.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?

I definitely shoot from the hip. I have an idea of what I want to write about, and just start doing it.


4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

The creation of a story. I love fleshing out characters and details and exploring the worlds I create. My next favorite part of being a writer is discussing my book with a reader.



5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

For me, it's waiting for someone to want to discuss the book. I love to know what they think, and what parts they liked or didn't like. I put in a lot of metaphors, polarities, nods, 'Easter eggs', etc. And I love when people discover them. Waiting for those people is definitely the hardest part.


6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

To this day, I am a painter at a John Deere factory that makes hay and forage equipment (think balers). It is my hope to some day become successful enough as a writer, that I can leave the factory and pursue a full-time career as an author.


7.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

The greatest achievement as a writer has to be the fact that I have 3 published books in my name.

As far as achievements with my novels themself; my best-selling novel is my first published novel, Broadcasting From Heaven. My personal favorite book, however, is my second novel, A.Solution.


8.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

A sequel to my first published book, Broadcasting From Heaven. I have several other books queued up to be written, however. I just need more time!


9.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

From within. I'm not really sure, otherwise. An idea comes to me, and I feel compelled to write it out.


10.              WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

I have written Inspirational, Thriller, and Fantasy. I don't plan to ever stick to one specific genre.


11.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Persistence is key! Don't give up! Don't make excuses!





12.              DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

Absolutely not. I have tons of ideas. Time is what I need!


13.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

No. I just write when I have time. I can write on the fly.


14.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

Somewhere dark and secluded. A little white noise is perfect. (Sounds like a good way to fall asleep...)


15.              WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

Probably completing my story and hitting that 'publish' button—or holding the book in my hand. After that, it would be putting in the little, specific details (like little secret gems) in the story that I hope someone else appreciates.


16.              WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

I don't have a specific favorite, but I enjoy Richard Elliot, Paul Thigpen, Larry Burkett, Steven King, Dan Brown, and several others.


17.              WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

When a woman said, "What you've written; people are looking for that...", speaking of my book, Broadcasting From Heaven, and the message of hope it has within, and the answers to questions people are asking.


18.              WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

I don't think I've sold enough books, yet, to have gotten a bad compliment. That, or people are being too nice.


19.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

Absolutely. The basis for my first novel was inspired by real life events. Though my life, far from tragic, has had some grueling times, it's easily the most fun to fit the experiences into the stories in small amounts.





20.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Jesus, my Savior, and my wife and kids.

I love collecting coins, reading, and researching.


21.              DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

No. I did all my own editing.


22.              DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

A well-balanced day with activities, relaxation, and recreation, maybe a little work, and definitely some reading and writing.


23.              IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?

Jesus Christ. He would be a wealth of knowledge and love.


24.              WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?

Jesus is the only way to Heaven.


25.              WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

Continue writing and hope to someday become successful enough to leave the factory life.


26.               WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON BOOK TRAILERS? DO THEY SELL BOOKS?

I think it's certainly a perfectly acceptable marketing vehicle to use to sell books. Diverse marketing is the best strategy in my opinion.


27.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

I manifest myself in almost every character I write about. I would say the character who is most like me in my books is Aric in A.Solution.


28.              DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

The publishing industry does not. The literary agents, aka, 'The Gate Keepers' don't either, but what they're looking for is an emerging niche that's hard to compete with in this day and age.





29.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

Absolutely not. Though I have taken a few hiatuses.


30.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

Without question, A.Solution. The idea is so original. I identity with the main character. The plot is intriguing, and has a great twist in the middle. I've packed hidden gems or Easter eggs inside (there are a ton just in the Table of Contents alone!) I just can't say enough about this book. I'm very, very pleased with the way it turned out.


31.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER?

Success comes in many forms. Publishing that first (and subsequent) novels is a success of its own, but really, success to me would be selling enough books to be able to support my family and write full time.


32.              WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?

Each one has a message. My first book, they should feel inspired and rejuvenated and hopeful.

In the second book, they should remember not to forget the past. To honor it, but look forward.

The third book, the read is an escape to a different world. It's about personal growth and overcoming the odds (as cliché as that sounds)


33.              WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?

Yes! All three, I would love to see as movies! In my third book, I always imagined the main character as Liam Neeson.


34.              HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

It varies. My second book took the most thought. It's symbolic of the story.


35.              WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

Again, where I sell enough books to be ale to leave my factory job.


36.                WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?

Marketing is a challenge. I enjoy the idea, but I'm not having much luck! I've sold most of my books by one on one conversations. My books are not exactly flying of the digital shelves of Amazon.


37.               ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

Yes! Through Amazon. My publishing company, a subsidiary of SilverForged Enterprises is called SilverForged Publishing.


38.              DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.

Detail-oriented. Introvert. Christian. Polymath.


39.              WHAT PISSES YOU OFF MOST?

Hitting my head on something. Pure, unbridled rage.


40.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

My Whorizontal Life by Sephe Haven. Good book!


41.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?

Ever? I don't know...that's a tough one. Pass?


42.               WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE TO SHARE?

Got a few more minutes?


43.               ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

Thank you for reading this far! And thank you for your time!









Clancy's comment:  Thank you, David. Keep going. Best wishes.

I'm ...





 









No comments:

Post a Comment