8 August 2017 - RICK KARLSRUHER - Guest Author





RICK KARLSRUHER
- Guest Author-

G'day folks,

I'm pleased to introduce a real character.

Welcome, Rick ...



1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

The journey for Standoff started over thirty years ago when I wrote it as a script. Comedy legends Dick Martin (Laugh-In) and Matty Simmons (Founder of National Lampoon, Producer of films like Animal House, Vacation and many others) thought it was really funny, but the studios said it was too far ahead of its time.

With new Cold War coming, I decided to make it into a book. We need some laughs these days.


2.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

I love the excitement of finding and bringing a story to life. I’m not a grinder. I don’t do formulas. If I don’t love the idea, I don’t write it, but when I do I might with 2-4 hours of sleep every night for a couple weeks to get it going.


3.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

These days getting books sold is the hardest part. There are so many writers and so many are giving away their work. Pushing, shoving, begging Clancy for a little space to introduce myself to you is tough.



4.    WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

I’ve done promotions, managed a couple of bands, settled down to international marketing and management, but I really want to make Standoff a success. I’d love to have your help.

5.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

Each of my books created an achievement for me. My first was difficult to write as it was about two horrible years of my life that changed the rest of my life. Reliving it as I wrote was daunting. Even after finishing it, I’m not sure how much it was cathartic. Turning my current project, Standoff, How the Cold War Really Ended, from a script to a book was really difficult. I had to add an entire story line to make it long enough. Knowing that expert had liked it was hugely encouraging and frightening at the same time. I had to make it good.



6.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

I am working on getting the word out on my new book, Standoff, How the Cold War Really Ended. I could use everyone’s help who is reading this. As we descend into a new Cold War, we need to know how the last one really ended. It’s funny, maybe insightful. We can’t be serious all the time.


7.   WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

I write what I feel like writing. My style is conversational. I want to put you into the story.

8.   DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Write what you love. Don’t chase trends. It rarely works.


9.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

Knowing I have created something that others enjoy. We need more fun in the world.

10.       WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

The two I think about are when Dick Martin told me he loved Standoff. I mean this is the guy who got Nixon to come on his show and got Nixon to make fun of himself. My other one was hilarious to me. I participate in a forum from my university and have a rather wild persona there. Upon reading my first book, someone said, “You know I hate you, but damn you can tell a story.” I still smile when I think about that.

11.       WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

I don’t remember. Nor should anyone else. There will be people who don’t like you, are jealous of you or wished they could do what you are doing. They will attack you. There are billions of other people in the world. Forget about the “haters”.

12.       WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

Well, my first book, A Story Almost Told, is entirely about what happened in my life. Standoff shows that politicians are silly and that the little guys can win. I was influenced by the Cold War to come up with a “real” idea of how it ended. Hey, my way makes as much sense as what we have been told were the reasons…and it’s a lot more fun. J



13.       OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

I love going to movies, music and sports.

14.       DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

Yes, I did! You must! The biggest reason is that the writer knows what your manuscript is supposed to say, but you may not have typed it that way. You need to do this!


15.       WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

Standoff was much more fun, because it is a semi-detective story that turns into a farce. Or is it real? Maybe I’m showing you why vodka has become so expensive. Do you really think Gorbachev and Reagan woke up one morning and decided to call the Cold War a tie? If not, maybe Standoff is closer to the “truth” than I think.

16.       WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?

Standoff originally was a script and I hope your readers buy enough copies to get a studio involved. Hint! J
I think if Standoff succeeds it will be natural to make A Story Almost Told will be made into a movie.

17.       HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

I came up with ideas for both of my covers, but had pros put them together. With a gazillion books out there, your cover is incredibly important to draw readers. Be different!

18.       ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

Yes, but I am dialing Standoff back a bit after the summer.

19.       ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

First of all, I’d like to thank my good mate Clancy for helping me promote Standoff. If enough of you buy enough copies my book, I promise to fly to Australia to buy him a few pints.









Think James Bond meets Inspector Clousseau while on your way to meet Dr, Strangelove while wagging the dog.

By the way, since I’m here to pimp my book, I guess I can tell you it is among the Top 10 net reviewed books out of 450,000 titles on the site, the #1 net best reviewed book published in 2017.

Hey, if I’m not going brag about myself, who will?

For all the writers out there, congratulations! Don’t stop!

Thanks Clancy!




 Clancy's comment: Welcome, Rick. Good luck with the book. I hope hundreds will buy your book so you can buy me a few pints.

I'm ...














 


No comments:

Post a Comment