Like him or hate him, Bob has a great way of making things blunt and simple.
2. “No, Prime Minister, nothing is as simple as dying” – arguing with Margaret Thatcher
3. “People are dying NOW. Give us the money NOW.” – on live TV at Live Aid (and not, as attributed, “give us your ****in money!”)
4. “The lingua franca of the planet is not English, it's pop music”
5. “You can't trust politicians. It doesn't matter who makes a political speech. It's all lies - and it applies to any rock star who wants to make a political speech as well.”
6. “I actually didn't want him on the stage, 'cause his haircut at the time was so appalling.” – on Bono at Live Aid
7. “Not the Dark Continent. This is the Luminous Continent.” – on Africa
8. “Mankind at its most desperate is often at its best”
9. “My medals! I'm a Chevalier, a knight, a sheikh and a Prince Tuareg in Western Sudan. I look like Idi Amin when I've got them all on”
10. “They thought they were Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall. In fact, they were more like Tom and Jerry” - on Paula Yates and Michael Hutchence
Clancy's comment: This is a very interesting man. If you have the chance, read his book which is called, "Is That It?"