23 December 2015 - SARAH BEGUM - Guest Adventurer




SARAH BEGUM
- GUEST ADVENTURER-

G'day folks,

Welcome to an interview with a very talented adventurer.

Welcome, Sarah ....


A Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, Sarah Begum is an Immersive Investigative Journalist and an Anthropologist-Explorer. In 2010, Sarah’s curiosity led to the greatest achievement of her life, becoming the youngest female Documentarian at 21 years of age to produce her first film in the Amazon Rainforest. There, she lived with the Huaorani tribe, immersed in their culture; hunting and gathering with warriors, whilst investigating the impacts of oil exploitation on their land and how modernity affected their way of life. 



Sarah has been exploring the world, studying tribes and different ways of life whilst investigating current affairs and making a humanitarian effort to help people along the way. In 2014, Sarah partnered with Russ Malkin to set up The Adventuress Club, a platform to connect, share, empower and encourage women through the world of adventure.



1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.
It began with writing articles about my experience in the Amazon Rainforest.

2.   WERE YOU A GOOD READER AS A KID?
I loved mystery novels and always enjoyed reading out loud in class. So, yes! I guess I was a good reader as a kid.



3.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A JOURNALIST? WHAT INSPIRED YOU?
It just happened when I realised I could write about topics I was passionate about, had an opinion on or experiences I encountered. I would write stories. Those stories became articles. Somehow. Somewhere.

4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A JOURNALIST?
The action packed adventures in my investigations that gives me a story to write about.

5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A PROFESSIONAL WRITER?
Trying to get an article commissioned and finding out that a national or bigger publication who you pitched to has stolen your idea.

6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?
Once upon a time, I was a fashion designer!

7.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING / BROADCASTING ACHIEVEMENT?
My film, Amazon Souls being premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in 2013



8.   HAVE YOU BROKEN ANY BIG STORIES?
I’ve made big stories on the headlines of national and international newspapers

9.   DO YOU ENJOY WRITING / REPORTING FOR A MEDIA CORPORATION?
Yes, I love reporting and writing about things that matter to me and the world around me.

10. WHAT TOPICS DO YOU COVER?
Adventure, travel, film/tv, anthropology, environment.

11. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?
Capturing reality through words in a creative way. It’s a form of art.

12. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?
Paul Theroux, because his descriptions of places and people is outstanding and piece of genuinity.

13. DO YOU WORK AS PART OF A TEAM, FREELANCE OR BOTH?
Both.

14. WHAT WAS YOUR TOUGHEST ASSIGNMENT? WHY?
Writing about finance because it was out of my comfort zone and less interesting than what I was used to.

15. WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?
They were able to experience my journey with me.



16. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?
I haven’t had any worst comments yet.

17. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU BY THE STORIES YOU COVER?
Yes and no. Some are personal and others are just as important but not necessarily from a personal experience.

18. HAVE YOU WON ANY PRIZES OR AWARDS?
I’ve had a poem published in an anthology.

19. WHAT DID THEY MEAN TO YOU?
It was a childhood achievement that made me realise there was a talent that I needed to keep refreshing and using.

20. ANY OVERSEAS WORK?
Venezuela. A news media corp.

21. OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
Exploring, filmmaking and humanitarian missions.

22. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?
To unite together to generate genius plan and make the world a better place by solving all of its problems.

23. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
Start the morning with inspirational quotes, martial arts training, an action packed adventure with me being filmed in a remote or treacherous place of the world, capturing exciting and interesting stories, helping someone, blogging about the adventure and then meeting inspirational figures for dinner and watching a film or documentary before hitting bed.



24. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS / ASPIRATIONS FOR THE FUTURE?
Many things. To cover great stories around the world for broadcast.

25. DO YOU THINK PRINT NEWSPAPERS ARE SERIOUSLY CHALLENGED BY THE INTERNET? HOW?
Yes, because digital journalism has taken the world by storm with more users reverting to technological devices than the old papers.

26. WHO OR WHAT HAS INFLUENCED YOU IN YOUR WORK?
My experiences and people’s stories.

27. WHO OR WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Life inspires me. Successful people moulded by adversity inspire me. TED talks inspire me too!

28. DO YOU TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS TOO?
Yes, but mostly on my phone or whatever I can find to capture the moment.

29. ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?
Fly outside the box. Then aim for beyond space. Only then, your mind can count the bigger picture and solve simple equations. This is for any aspect of your life when you need to do something, whether work or life changing decisions.



30. WHAT WOULD BE THE LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?
Thank you. Appreciation is key to progression. 






Clancy's comment: Go, Sarah! Keep travelling and telling the world. Love ya work!

I'm ...








 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment