- Guest Illustrator -
Today, I interview an illustrator from Australia. Byron classes himself as a creative, kind, honest person who would love to be, one day, a well known book writer and illustrator of his E- books!
Welcome, Byron ...
1. TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR ILLUSTRATING JOURNEY.
I was born and raised in the Solomon Islands, off Papua New Guinea, and started doing Art and design at High school.
2. WERE YOU GOOD AT DRAWING AS A KID?
I loved to doodle in class, drawing motorbikes, Bands, animals.
3. WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME AN ILLUSTRATOR?
When I moved to Brisbane, Australia. I did an art course and screen printing, selling my t-shirt designs at markets.
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING AN ILLUSTRATOR?
I love creating the idea and watching it grow!
4. WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING AN ILLUSTRATOR?
Patience and brainstorming.
5. DO YOU WORK FOR YOURSELF, OTHERS OR BOTH?
I have in the past, but now do it from home.
6. WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME AN ILLUSTRATOR?
7. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?
Having two children
8. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
A animation video, about stopping Animal Cruelty.
9. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MEDIUM?
Water paints and pen.
10. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Movies, Australian culture, animals, marine life.
11. WHAT DO YOU PREFER TO ILLUSTRATE?
Marine scenes and the outback.
12. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR EMERGING ILLUSTRATORS?
Don't stop trying to get better!
13. DO YOU SUFFER FROM ILLUSTRATOR’S BLOCK?
14. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED SCHEDULE?
Yes, mainly early and late in the day!
15. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PLACE TO ILLUSTRATE?
In my lounge room! Watching TV.
16. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN YOUR WORK?
Seeing the finished work!
17. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE ILLUSTRATOR AND WHY?
It was L.Devinci! Because he came up with original ideas!
18. WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED?
My brother telling me I have a gift for Art.
19. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED?
The idea is bizarre
20. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?
21. HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU ILLUSTRATED?
22. HAVE YOU WON ANY PRIZES OR AWARDS?
No, not yet!!
23. WHAT DID THEY MEAN TO YOU?
Ask me after I win one!
DRAWING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
Sport, animals, culture.
24. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO ALL WORLD LEADERS IF YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY?
Stop abusing our planet and stop wars!
25. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
Going fishing on a summer day!
26. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
Keep doing what I do now!
27. HAVE YOU MET SOME GREAT PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY?
Great as in their person, yes! but not famous great!!
28. ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?
Love Jesus and thank him every day for helping me!!
Clancy's comment: Go, Byron. Sounds like you have heaps of fun doing what you do. Good for you. Way to go.