- Guest Illustrator -
Welcome to my first interview with anyone from Indonesia. Lyly Young is a very clever illustrator and graphic designer from West Java, Indonesia.
Welcome, Lyly ...
1. TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR ILLUSTRATING JOURNEY.
I’m Lyly an illustrator from Indonesia. My family basically is not from an artist line. It happened when I was in 3rd grade of primary, I saw my sister draw a fanart from the book that she read, and then I tried to draw. After that, I practiced drawing without any tutor. The feeling about being an artist was pushing me and I wanted to learn more about it. I learned about drawing and illustrating mostly when I was in university. Then, I become an Illustator.
2. WERE YOU GOOD AT DRAWING AS A KID?
Yes, I was. It happened when I was 9 and I saw my older sister drawn something and I tried to draw and copy like her draw. After that I trained myself without any instructor.
3. WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME AN ILLUSTRATOR?
First time I got a chance to illustrate was to make an book about my client’s daughter. After that, I got another chance to illustrate a children’s book for an un-profit publisher. That’s how I became an illustrator.
4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING AN ILLUSTRATOR?
A lot of ideas in minds comes out and create something new.
5. WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING AN ILLUSTRATOR?
The hardest thing is if you don’t have any idea.
6. DO YOU WORK FOR YOURSELF, OTHERS OR BOTH?
I don’t like work half-hearted. That’s why I work for myself and others, for me as a passion and for the company as a satisfaction.
7. WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME AN ILLUSTRATOR?
I was in admin in a small shipping company before I entered university.
8. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?
My illustrated books reach to the reader. And they like them.
9. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I was an Art and craft Primary teacher (just resign) and now, I’m doing some projects for the next event.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MEDIUM?
I like using watercolour, paper collage, and mix media.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
12. WHAT DO YOU PREFER TO ILLUSTRATE?
Something that is different than usual; like creating some creatures.
13. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR EMERGING ILLUSTRATORS?
Finish what you have started. If you don’t have any idea, go refreshing and don’t make your mind complicated. Do some research about your work. Do one illustration a day.
14. DO YOU SUFFER FROM ILLUSTRATOR’S BLOCK?
Yes, I am. This year I’ve not done many illustrations because I worked as a full time teacher.
15. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED SCHEDULE?
I don’t have it. I always mess it up when I already decided the schedule.
16. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN YOUR WORK?
When I finished my illustrations book.
17. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE ILLUSTRATOR AND WHY?
I have many favourite illustrators. Such as Jimmy Liao, Shaun Tan, John Klassen, Eric Guillon, and still many. They really inspire me.
18. HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU ILLUSTRATED?
I have illustrated up to 10 books, I think. Mostly I illustrate for un-profit publisher, but sometime collaborate with writers. And also, collaborate with a Dutch publisher. ‘Mick en Maartje’ series was my first in Dutch.
19. HAVE YOU WON ANY PRIZES OR AWARDS?
I haven’t won any award.
20. WHAT DID THEY MEAN TO YOU?
Awards is just a title. For me is also an important thing to progress and become creative and produce artworks.
21. OTHER THAN DRAWING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
I do craft, sewing, cooking, photography and travelling sometimes.
22. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
A day that I have many Ideas to illustrate. It’s a cloudy day with a gentle breeze. I sit in front of my working desk and drinking a hot choco.
23. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
To illustrate many books around the world and keep illustrating.
24. HAVE YOU MET SOME GREAT PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY?
Yeah.I met so many awesome and famous people even that people not related to art. But they really inspire me, giving encouragement through music, speech, sharing, and workshop.
Clancy's comment: Many thanks, Lyly. Keep going. I admire anyone who can draw. Love ya work!
Think about this!