15 February 2019 - YAEL EYTAN - GUEST AUTHOR


YAEL EYTAN
 - GUEST AUTHOR -

G'day folks,

Today, I interview an up and coming author from Australia.

Welcome, Yael ...



1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.



I have always written. Ever since I remember I have had an overactive imagination. Often it ended up as a wild game that continued on for months with my siblings. We would go on endless adventures. And the rest of the time it would end up in notes and note bokes, on random pieces of papers and sometimes on skin. Ideas fleeting sentences, thoughts. I still do this. I collect words and sentences and every now and then a few come together to create the perfect sentence or idea.





2.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?



I sit and I write and hope the words come. I have a pretty good idea where the story is going and how it will get there when I get started. Sometimes when I finish it resembles this first idea and other times it’s its own creation.



3.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?



That moment when a spark of inspiration ignites and you know you’re on to something and your fingers start to itch and all the conversation around you starts to dim and all you want is a way to get words on paper and let the ideas spring to life.



4.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?



Editing. Arduous and endless. Going back over a single sentence hundreds of times questioning each word, syllable, punctuation mark.






5.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?



I have worn many hats over the years. I have worked as a chef, a restaurant manager, a massage therapist, a PT and fitness instructor and I have owned online businesses.



6.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?



Having my debut novel picked up and published, but more so, loved.



7.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?



I am currently working on three different projects each with their own themes. Two are dystopian and question the value of family, nature vs nurture and sex vs love. While the other is a thriller that discusses the idea of happiness, and how it is perceived by different people.



8.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?



Everything. Conversations, music, nature, my own feeling and moods.






9.   WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?



Speculative fiction disguised as romance and lately thrillers.



10.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?



Just sit down and write. Finish that first draft, don’t worry about editing as you go or perfection, just finish first. Make sure you celebrate that first finish, and all the ones that follow, because each of your pieces is just as important, as valuable and as taxing as the one before.



11.              DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?



Yes, I do. I find that when I give myself deadlines or overload my plate, I just can’t seem to construct sentences.



12.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?



I wish I could write in daylight hours, but with kids at home, I tend to wait until the household is asleep and write at night. I try to write at least an hour every day and I don’t guilt myself into writing or force it if I don’t feel like it. Sometimes inspiration strikes when I least expect it and then I use dictation to remember ideas which I then write about at night.



13.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?



I write at my desk at home. I enjoy the peace.



14.              WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?



When you manage to translate the jumble of ideas floating into your head into coherent sentences that make complete sense and are eloquent and well written.





15.              WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?



Alexander Dumas. He is an incredible story teller. His stories are intricate and brilliant.








16.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?



Always. My moods, emotions, my friends, random conversations, the country I find myself in, current affairs…. It all plays a part.



17.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?



Reading, swimming, hiking, traveling.



18.              DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?



Yes. Personally, I think it’s a must.



19.              DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.



Wake up late. Have a hot uninterrupted coffee and a long hotter shower. Sit on the beach, where only a light breeze cools the air, the water temperature is in the mid-twenties so swimming is enjoyable. A few cocktails while I read uninterrupted. Dinner with the family and some dancing and drinks with friends. Return to the seashore where I can watch the sunrise and go to bed where I wake up late…







20.              WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?



I’d like to keep writing and learn a few more creative skills.






21.               WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON BOOK TRAILERS? DO THEY SELL BOOKS?



I’m not entirely sure. They probably do. Maybe they are suited for a younger generation, but personally, I read the blurb.



22.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?



Most definitely, there are parts of me in some of my characters. Some more than others.





23.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?



No. I may never get another book published but I will also never stop writing.



24.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?



My newest. Mating Season. I loved my characters, the way they interacted and grew. I enjoyed the world I created and I was encouraged by the very positive reactions I’ve received from my betas.



25.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.



I think that having my book read, understood and appreciated is success.



26.              WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?



Each one of my books deals with different issues that we as a society face daily. I hope that anyone who reads my books takes a minute to evaluate their own lives and the happiness they feel within it.








27.              WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?



I’ve never written a screenplay but I would love to have When We Vanish turned into a movie. I would love to see an invisible man run around the big screen.





28.              WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?



I’d love for my books to become classics. And if not that an HBO series.





29.              DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.



Quirky, funny, intelligent, short, coffee lover



30.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?



Crossing the lines. It was wonderful.



31.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?



The End.












 Clancy's comment: Go, Yael. Well done. Keep writing.

I'm ...







No comments:

Post a Comment