15 October 2017 - MAGDEL ROETS - GUEST AUTHOR





MAGDEL ROETS
- GUEST AUTHOR -

G'day folks,

Today, I interview an author who is powering ahead with new works.

Welcome, Magdel ...


1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.
I wrote my first story when I was twelve years old. I was never read by anyone but me and ended up in the trash. Twenty years ago I tried again, but not seriously. I just scribbled some thoughts, put them in order and a story emerged. A magazine rejected the manuscript, but years later a publisher accepted it. The book was released in 2011.

Later I got an idea for an English story and took about fifteen months to finish it. Now to find a publisher. It was not easy or quick, but long story short: I found one on LinkedIn. Or rather he found me. Perhaps we found each other. He offered to have a look at my book, I sent it by email, a week later I signed a contract and less than two months from there my book was released. And it did not cost me a fortune, like with other publishers. Now, a year and a half later, I have three books published with more underway. If this is not Divine intervention, I wouldn't know what is.

At least one of my Short stories in Afrikaans has been included in a book together with other writer's stories. The book will be released soon.

2.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?
The moment I realised I was born to write, was the moment I became a writer. I knew writing was in me and the stories had to get out. I knew for sure I was a writer when I held my first printed book in my hands.




3.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?
The only preparation I do, is sitting down with a tall, strong coffee and switch on my computer. From there everything starts to run.


4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
I get much pleasure when people enjoy one of my books and tell me they look forward to reading the next one. When this happens, I thank Yahweh for using me to bless people by using the talent He gave me.


5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
Not knowing if my latest book will be a success. Hope is all I have until I get feedback in whatever form.


6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?
A wannabe writer.


7.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?
By the grace of Yahweh, three books have been released in the last nineteen months.


8.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
A poetry book is almost done, a short story is half way through, another novella is on its way and then there is my next full length novel which I am working on whenever I get a chance. There is also a piece of non-fiction in the pipeline, but some research is still to be done.



9.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People inspire me in the way they react to happenings in their lives.


10.              WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?
Christian fiction. Since I am a follower of Yeshua, I cannot get myself to write anything other than from Christian perspective.


11.              DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?
Sit down and do it. Scribble down every thought that comes to you and see where it leads. There is something to say about planning and plotting, but don't be bound by it. Too strict plotting might kill a good story.


12.              DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?
Only when there is a deadline.


13.              DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?
No. I write whenever I can fit it in.

14.              DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?
I have a little "office" where I keep nothing but my computer and my writing paraphernalia.

15.    WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?
To create something meaningful, but also entertaining. Something that will be a blessing in every way.

16.    WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?
John Grisham. His stories are well written, excellently plotted with many twists and surprises to keep the pages turning. I like the humour, a very important element in any book. The best part is that you can read most of his books numerous times without getting bored.

17.    WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?
A reader told me that long after she finished the book, the characters stayed with her and she wanted to know when she may expect the follow-up.




15.              WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?
"I, um, like the book.  What's the title again?"


16.              WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?
I do learn from experience how people react to different situations and apply those insights when I create a character and place him/her in a specific situation.


17.              OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
Painting. I made paintings to use in the cover images of my latest two books. I also enjoy gardening, walking on a beach and, of course, reading.


18.              DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?
I did most of the editing myself, but I might get it done professionally in future.


19.              DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
Start with a tall coffee and rusks on the patio, (depending on the weather), while waiting for the sun to come up. A quick session at the open air gym followed by a hearty breakfast. After that a few hours among the paint and brushes, salad for lunch, relax with a good book for an hour or two or a long walk on the beach, a light supper, watch a good movie or DVD and then end the day by writing until the sun comes up again, provided I'd be allowed to sleep through the next day.


20.              IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?
I agree with the person who answered this same question choosing Mc Guyver, because he'd be able to get me home somehow.

21.              WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?
I'd tell them to surrender their lives to Yeshua and start ruling according to the laws of Yahweh.

22.              WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
Keep on writing, painting and living to the glory of our Creator.





23.               WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON BOOK TRAILERS? DO THEY SELL BOOKS?
I haven't made use of them, but I'm sure they form an important part of the marketing process. I do consider trying it at some point.


24.              DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?
Perhaps there is a little bit of me in most of my characters, just like there is a little bit of me in my children.


25.              DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?
It used to, until I found the company that is now doing my publishing.


26.              DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?
Just about a million times. I get discouraged easily, but God picks me up every time and tell me to stop the self-pity and get on with the job.


27.              WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?
I can honestly not choose one over the other. I love them all, in different ways, just as I love my children in different ways


28.               HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER?
A writer is successful when he/she makes some positive impact on his readers, either intellectually, emotionally or in any other way that gives the reader something to take home.

29.              WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?
They should know there is hope and that all things work out for the good of those who keep themselves hidden in Yeshua.

30.              WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR BOOKS MADE INTO MOVIES? EVER WRITTEN A SCREENPLAY?
I have never written a screenplay, but my big dream is to see my books as movies on the big screen.



31.              HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?
There are quite a number of things to consider when designing a cover. It must be eye catching. The image must reflect the theme and somehow convey tone by touching the right emotion. Background colour is very important as well as lettering and enough, but concise information about content.




32.              WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?
It is to finish at least one series and see them being filmed, maybe even play a small role in at least one of the movies. Something like Aunt Emma in "My Father's Will".


33.                WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?
Writing is difficult. Marketing is far worse.


34.               ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?
I self-published on Smashwords before I found this great publisher in Alaska. Now my books get published in a most professional way.



35.      DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.
Serious, sincere, creative, determent procrastinator.


36.              WHAT PISSES YOU OFF MOST?
Hypocrisy, flattery and envy.



37.              WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?
"What if I go?"


38.               WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?
It is written, now read it.

39.               WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE TO SHARE?
A family celebration with my children with their spouses and my grandchildren, all in one place at the same time.

40.      ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?
Nothing of the above would be worth anything if it did not glorify our Saviour







Clancy's comment: Well done, Magdel. Keep writing and being inspired.

I'm ...












 



No comments:

Post a Comment