8 February 2013 - JEREMY SANDLIN - GUEST AUTHOR


JEREMY SANDLIN

GUEST AUTHOR
G'day guys,

Today I have a bright, young author who is well on his way - Jeremy Sandlin. Welcome, Jeremy ...
 

            TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

I just graduated college in May of 2012. I obtained my B.A. In History with a minor in American Studies. My writing started out writing short stories in high school and has since evolved into writing novels.

 

           WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

I finished writing a novel shortly after high school and had it published. It was smaller than the novels I currently write. Now I write larger novels. In fact my most recent novel entitled The Protectors A Blue History is over three hundred pages in length.




           WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

The ability to create a story. The author can make a story whatever he or she wants it to be. It is a feeling like no other.



           WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

Meeting internally set deadlines. I set deadlines for myself so that I generally know how long it will take to finish a book, but sometimes for outside reasons I am not able to put as much of the day into writing as I had planned to, which can throw my whole schedule off.

             WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

A Historian. I like to study people and understand society and the events that take place within it.

 

          WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

I would have to say publishing The Protectors A Blue History Novel. It is the longest novel I have ever written.



           WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

Obtain: A Key Keeper. It is a brand new book that I hope to have out soon.



         WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

Other books, History, and other people.



          WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

Young Adult Fiction/Fantasy



          DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Write and don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough. If you have a book in your head that you want to get down on paper then write. Don't let excuses hold you back.

          DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

Sometimes. To combat it I either switch to a new story or do something that will relax me and give me inspiration like read another authors book.



          DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

Nope, just when inspiration strikes. Though when I have days off from work I try to write for a full work day.



           DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

My bed. It is comfy so I can just stretch out and write on my laptop.



          WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

Finishing a novel. It is a joy like no other to hold a completed story in your hands.



          WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

Tough Question. At the moment I would have to say Lemony Snicket as I grew up reading his work and he has such a unique style. Though Amanda Hocking is also pretty high on my list. 

 

          WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

One reader told me that there had better be a sequel to The Protectors because he loved it so much. I assured him that there are several books coming out in the series.

          WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

One reader said my dialogue could be a bit stilted. Which I can understand because different people are going to like different styles. I have also received compliments on my dialogue as well.



         WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

All the time. It is crazy to think about sometimes, but even the smallest actions can spark inspiration.



         OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Reading, History, Video Games.



          DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

I have beta readers look them over and I have to say they do an amazing job.



         DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

One where I could get up and have the time to write all day. Of course most days are good because I can wake up and hold a physical copy of The Protectors in my hands.



         IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?

I would have to say a fellow author by the name of Christy Howell. I like to write and we always have fun bouncing ideas off of each other, Being on an island would give us plenty of time to write.

          WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO WORLD LEADERS?

I would tell President Obama that he is doing a wonderful job and I would implore those that don't want to work together to find some sort of avenue of compromise.



        WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

Work and write in my free time until hopefully writing becomes a full time job.



         WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?

Who Could that be at this Hour by Lemony Snicket

Eloquentia by Christy Howell

Switched by Amanda Hocking

The Protectors: A Blue History Novel by me (I couldn't go to heaven without one of my books).

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo



         DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

Yes, many of them.

 

        DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

Sometimes, because if many authors had listened to their numerous rejections, then the world would be deprived of many great books.



        DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

I considered it a few years back, but I have too many ideas to quit.



        WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

The Protectors because I got to take history and have fun with it.



 HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.
That is defined by the individual author. Success to me is completing a book and being happy with it.
WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?
They should know that a lot of work went into them and know that no matter how down my characters may seem in their story, there is always hope that good will always win. They should feel excited when the ending is happy and patient if a book in a series doesn't end happily, things will get better.



HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

A lot. I hire an artist that makes my covers and she is excellent at capturing the feel of the novel.



 WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

To be a full time writer.




ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

Keep writing, have fun with it, and never give up.












Clancy's comment: Go, Jeremy! I have no doubts we will hear your name again ... probably see it in lights.

I'm ...






No comments:

Post a Comment