8 April 2017 - LARRY PAYNE - Guest Author




LARRY PAYNE
- Guest Author -

G'day folks,

I'm pleased to introduce a fine author from the USA. 

Welcome, Larry ...


1.   WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?



I’ve always been an avid reader and would dabble with writing stories. The very first thing I ever wrote was a story about my hometown using song titles and lyrics. I didn’t really get serious about writing until about 12 years ago when one of my relatives read one of my short stories and told me, “Dude, you should think about getting this published.”  To which my response was, “Yeah, Right!”  After I thought more about it, it started to intrigue me so I joined a writer’s website called Gather. And so it began!



              





2.    WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT? DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?



I’m a pantser, not a plotter. I tried used an outline one time and by the middle of the second chapter the outline was in the trash! When I prepare a new story I have a protagonist and an antagonist and I know how I want to start it and how I want to end it. How I get from point A to point B is anybody’s guess. The story surprises me sometimes. I’ve had stories change directions four or five times before it was finished. You ever hear of characters taking over the direction of a story? Believe it! It happens!



       



3.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?



The wait after a submission never gets any easier no matter how many times I do it! Wondering if they’re going to believe in your work like you do!









4.   WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?



Getting that first book published will always be my greatest writing achievement!





5.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?



The publisher of my westerns closed its doors on January 1st, so I’m currently in the 3 Rs mode, Revise, Re-edit and Resubmit, on the two books they had published.







6.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?



Success and Acceptance. One good review or one piece of good feedback and knowing that one person enjoyed what I wrote is all the inspiration I need!





7.   WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?



Traditional Western Fiction is my passion, but I do dabble a bit in Crime Fiction and Science Fiction





8.   DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?



Write, Write and then Write some more! Never give up and don’t let negative criticism get the best of you! Remember if one person enjoys what you write, then it’s all worth it!  Keep On Writing!!





9.   DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?



Yes, that’s why I always have 3 Works in Progress at all times. If I get hung up on my primary project, I always switch and usually to one of a different genre for a day or two!







10.   DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?



I always seem to work better when the sun is up, although I have been known to work into the wee hours if the words are flowing!





11.   DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?



I have my own favorite little corner of the living room!







12.   WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?



Louis L’Amour…He’s the reason I’m writing westerns!







13.   WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?



“You’re the only one who could make me read a western and enjoy it!” Came from a co-worker.







14.   WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?



My Father was a fanatic of western movies and books and I owe any amount of success I have in that genre to him! Thanks, Pop!





15.   OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?



Fishing! Nothing beats sitting on the bank of a river enjoying a summer day and catching a few fish!









16.   WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?



Keep Writing!









17.   DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?



Never, I’m enjoying myself too much!





18.   WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?



Ride The Savage Land because it was the first western!







19.    HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER.



                         Acceptance







20.   WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?



Having one of my books or short stories made into a movie!!







21.    ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?



                         Yes, as E-books.







22.    ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD?



I would like to thank you, Clancy, for sharing your readers with me. I totally enjoyed it!



                     





        Clancy's comment:   Thank you, Larry. I know many Aussie libraries are always frantic for good westerns. 

I'm ...










 













No comments:

Post a Comment