2 August 2012 - K L Adams - Guest Author

Quote of the day:

Doctor: 'You need to take a holiday'


Patient: 'I can't afford it.'


Doctor: 'Can  you afford not to?'


G'day guys,


Today I have the privilege to feature a successful young guest author from Tampa, Florida, USA - K L Adams. This motivated author  has published three books already, with several newies on the go. This is her story:


1.TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.


I currently live in Tampa Florida; however, I was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I am a positive, upbeat person. I love living. I want everyone who reads my work to be inspired to find something great in their lives to celebrate, too. I started off writing murder mysteries and have progressed into inspirational pieces. I love writing and I will continue until I take my last breath.

2. WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?
I believe I came out of the womb a writer. I won my first essay contest back in fifth grade. After having to read my essay in front of three hundred Veterans and their families, I stopped entering contest. Deciding contest entering was not for me, I started working on my first novel. I decided to go the self-publishing route because I did not know enough about the writing industry to go through an agent. I have since begun to learn about the other aspects, but for now I’m comfortable writing my work and publishing it myself. That’s not to say I’m closed to any thing, I just want to focus on my writing and worry less about the business aspect (oh the perfect world, right).

3. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
The greatest pleasure of being a writer is the release from the normal restraints of day to day life. When I write I’m free. I can sculpt the words to invoke the feelings I want from the reader. I am free to create a world within a world that is beautiful and fantasy filled. It’s shear bliss for me.

4.WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
The hardest part about being an author is having someone quote your lines as they read your book. It’s nerve racking enough to know someone has purchased your writing, but to have them talk you through it, is like nails on a chalkboard. Not because you know the story, but because you fear rejection. You only hope they get the whole picture of what you were trying to accomplish as they read, and you try to forget all those extra touches you could have placed inside to make it that much better.

5. WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?
In a past life before I became a write, I was a fairy princess – ruler of my domain, my room. But, I have been known to take on various side jobs. The different interactions with people help me to create my stories and fuel my passion to inspire. I have been a barista, a server, business owner, and anything else I manage to wiggle into. However, I have always been a writer. It is the only thing I love and can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

6. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?
My greatest achievement came when a woman told me she was inspired to change her life because of something I had written. That was the turning point for me as a writer. I love writing novels, but inspiring people is my soul’s passion. That was a huge moment for me.

7. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I am working on a non-fiction (digital) book titled, Happiness - You Deserve It. As well as, a 12 week program to go along with it. I want people to walk away from this book and the program feeling the power they have inside them to change their life for the better. My intension is just to remind everyone how great they are.

8. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
What inspires me more than anything is the knowing I can make a difference in one person’s life. Every time I write, I write knowing there is someone somewhere in the world needing to read what I have to write. And, that is the only person I write for. Everyone else who happens to get the message is a bonus and a blessing.

9. WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?
I have written three books in the murder mystery genre. I love it and will put out more books in this field. My passion at the moment is non-fiction.

10. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?
Yes, do not listen to anyone who tells you to stop what you are doing because there is no money in it. There are always points in everyone’s journey where they come to a crossroad, continue or stop. I would tell any writer to continue to focus on their passion and allow all the doubt to fall by the waste side. It’s your life, not the critics’ life.

11. DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER'S BLOCK?
I only suffered from writer’s block when I was in college having to write term papers. Writer’s block for me comes only when I am forced to write about something I don’t feel a connection to.

12. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERED WRITING SCHEDULE?
I write best when I am uninterrupted – the time of day matters little in this technology based world. Someone is always available to interrupt at any hour of the day.

13. DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE WRITING PLACE?
My favorite writing place is away from the world inside my bedroom. It’s the most comfortable place for me in the world. So, writing comes easiest to me when I am there.

14. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?
My greatest joy in writing is the freedom. I can forget the headaches of the day and enter a world that is completely designed by me. There is no other feeling like it on the planet, for me.

15. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE AUTHOR AND WHY?
My favorite author is Sandra Brown. I respect her character development and story plots. She’s amazing.

16. WHAT 'S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?
The greatest compliment I have ever received from a reader came to me from a personal friend. She was going through a tough time with her family, and had needed to hear some words of encouragement. She found those words from a blog I had written about taking control of your own life. It is a very humbling experience.

17. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?
The worst compliment came from a reader who decided to grammar police my writing. I know he was only trying to help, but it came off so abrupt I almost cried. I’m sensitive to my writing because I put so much of my heart and soul into it. To be told about the missed comas or incorrect verbiage really gets to me because they are missing the point of the piece.

18. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?
I am definitely influenced by my experiences. The only way to get on someone’s level is to know where they are coming from. Nothing is off the record for me in my life, and the people I share my life with have to accept this.

19. HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU PUBLISHED?
I have published three with a fourth and five in the chamber.

20. OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT  ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
Hmm, my writing is my love. I have never been successful with relationships, so I can’t say I have love there (Shoulder  shrug). I love my life. The fact I am blessed to be able to walk on this planet and use my sense to experience how the day feels is ecstasy for me. There is nothing greater than being alive.

21. DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK/BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?
Oh, the screwy world of editing. I attempted to have my books professionally edited the first go round. I thought for sure they would be better than anyone I knew at the time or myself. However, I was naïve to the processes and procedures of the editing world. I thought they actually edited your work. Needless to say, my first book as been “edited” three times and I have still found errors. I have given up on this concept of perfection. If I have an error, I hope my reader will move past it and see the beauty within the bigger picture.

22. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT  DAY.
My perfect day is sitting outside along the river in a park Downtown, Tampa. There is a peaceful place for me to watch the birds fly about and the children’s laughter can be heard in the distance. Life is calm, yet fully alive. I can take in the smells of the city and the freshness of the air. The sun beams down just enough to keep you warm, but not enough to burn. I could spend all day in the park writing and staring out across the Hillsborough River. It’s a very serene place for me.

23. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
My future plans are to continue to work on my writing. I am open to venture in any direction my writing takes me in. Through progression I believe I can achieve my happiness. There are no set plans for me, just taking it day by day, inch by inch.

My website is KLADAMS.BIZ

My blog is KLADAMS.2010.WORDPRESS.COM

Clancy, thank you for interviewing me. I truly love writing and I hope to be able to touch as many people I as I can along my journey. I am truly grateful for this opportunity to share my story.

Clancy's comment: 'Love ya work, Kay-ce, love ya work!' Thanks for your poignant answers. Now, go sit by the Hillsborough River and smile, knowing you have made a few folks think about what really matters.

Keep writing!

Don't be shy ... send me an email: clancy_tucker@hotmail.com

Thanks for listening.

I'm Clancy Tucker.

www.clancytucker.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment