6 February 2015 - LUIZ CARLOS FREITAS - Guest Author


LUIZ CARLOS FREITAS

- Guest Author -

G'day folks,

Today I have the pleasure of introducing a prolific writer from Brazil, and my first guest from that country. Luiz is a journalist and author.

Welcome, Luiz ...



1. TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING
JOURNEY.

I am the grandson of Portuguese immigrants, was born and I live in the city of Pelotas, 350 000 inhabitants, 200 years of foundation. My origin is very humble, I started working with 9 years of age. My father died of cancer when I was 17 years old and I was responsible for my mother and three brothers. Work, study, survived. I am married and have a son, a former football player. He played in small clubs in Europe, Asia and South America for 12 years. I am a voracious reader ever since. I started writing at the age of 13 and never stopped. I am also a journalist for 30 years. Currently writing political column in the newspaper People's Daily, the city of Pelotas. 

I am a worried writer with social issues and injustices. I've written social novels, in which I try to show the chaos of the modern world and the need for urgent individual and collective transformation of society as a way to redeem ethical and moral values and reduce social injustice and the gap between rich and poor. I have seven books published in Brazil and have literary agents looking after my interests, in order to publish some of my works in Europe. I believe I am devoted to the writer by profession, read with the written word for over 40 years and every day I am improving myself in order to contribute to a better, more just and more human.



2. WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?

I believe I was born to be a writer. But the need to write came after become insatiable reader. Read and read a lot. From classic to contemporary writers. At 13 years of age felt the need to start writing and never stopped. Writing, for me, is so important and vital as breathing.

3.  WHAT TYPE OF PREPARATION DO YOU DO FOR A MANUSCRIPT?
DO YOU PLAN EVERYTHING FIRST OR JUST SHOOT FROM THE HIP?

None. I do a story outline in mind and begin to write simply from a central. Henceforth let me take the thread of history and book commander, step to be commanded by characters who come to life and will. Let me deliver the creative flow, I write with emotion. When you finish the book, then I start the review and editing, perfecting it. As soon as I finish a book, start another, almost without pause. I am very demanding with myself, perfectionist and I can say that I am very productive.




4. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

The opportunity to put out my intimate dramas and traumas, rest assured that, for once, twice, a thousand or a hundred thousand readers, I can make a difference in their lives, making them more tolerant people, brotherhood and solidarity.

5. WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

Publish. Every time there are fewer players in the same proportion that decrease the publishing houses. We have to fight it, for writing and reading are vital for humans continue human and not turn into machine.

6. WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A
WRITER?

I've always been a writer, since he was 13 years old. But earned his living as a journalist. I became full-time writer for five years. Since then surviving the writer's craft.



7. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

Has not won any major prize. Even as always written for personal satisfaction and meeting my ideals as a human being and writer. But my greatest achievement is to have overcome the barriers, including three cancerous tumors that almost led me to death three years ago. I survived because the desire to continue writing was stronger than cancer and death.

8. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

I am currently finishing a new book, entitled "Homo Perturbatus". This is a bold and unique, complex work, in which I try to portray the ills and problems faced by the current civilization.

9. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

The inspiration comes from the observation. I read, observe, analyze and start writing. So I sweat, because writing is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration.



10. WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

Social novel, preferably, though also write romance for young people.

11. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

The first tip is to read. The second tip is to read. The third tip is to read. Read, read and read, and only then start writing, if you have talent and vocation. Otherwise, go do something else, perhaps planting potatoes, which is easier.

12. DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

No. In my opinion, "blocking" writer is solved with concentration and work. Never with alcohol or drugs - legal and illegal.



13. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

Yes and no. I try to be an artist of the word, not I schedule anything but give special attention to the words that make up the sentence, which will compose the paragraph that will build the story of the book. I prefer the content, although we try to unite form and content.

14. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

Yes. My home office, near my library and my paintings, next to the window, where I can see the trees, the sky and the birds crossing the air.

15. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

You do what I like. I am happy writing. It is useful to me and to the world, even if only one person get touched with my books.

16. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

Dostoevsky. Because he taught me the true meaning of the writing trade. It was from him that I learned to analyze the human soul in search of answers to questions that bother us for centuries and still remain unanswered.

17. WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED
FROM A READER?
"When you finish reading your book turned me into a better person. Thank you!"



18. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

"I like your books, but you are very pessimistic."

19. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT
HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

Yes and no. In my books always have a bit of me and of my experiences, but not necessarily. I say that my main material is the imagination. Along with the observation of the world around me and what I saw, heard and deduct lifelong.

20. OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Life.

21. DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED
BEFORE PUBLICATION?

Yes. All of them.



22. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

My perfect day is one in which I can write five pages of my new book, when the text flows as if the current of a mighty river. Then in the evening I will rest with the feeling of having fulfilled the mission of the day.

23. IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON,
WHO WOULD IT BE? WHY?

My wife. Because she's my companion for 36 years and never left my bedside when I was to death, nursed me and helped me to recover myself and to live. I owe my life to it.

24. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO SPEAK TO
WORLD LEADERS?

Freedom, fraternity and equality, please. Stop the wars, combat hunger, disease, prejudice and discrimination, help poor countries, destroy the weapons and distribute flowers and books.

25. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
Becoming a well known writer in the world, never for fame, money or vanity. But for people to read my messages, evaluate my ideas, be thrilled with my stories, which aims to help improve the world.



26. WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?

If there was heaven and I were invited to live there, would Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky) - The Red and the Black (Stendhal) - Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck - War and Peace (Tolstoy) - Les Misérables (Victor Hugo).

27. DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

Several of them have a piece of me.

28. DOES THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY FRUSTRATE YOU?

The relentless pursuit of profit at the expense of artistic work. The financial interest up art. Treating a book as if it were a product of the second category.

29. DID YOU EVER THINK OF QUITTING?

Never. The real writer writes for intimate imposition and for yourself, although you want others to read their works.



30. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE MANUSCRIPT TO WRITE? WHY?

The revolt of Squatting. Because it was my first book, the one which determined my literary style, taking me to the path of social novel.

31.  HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ‘SUCCESS’ AS A WRITER. 

Travelling to Sydney and see one of my books for sale in a bookstore.

32. WHAT SHOULD READERS WALK AWAY FROM YOUR BOOKS
KNOWING? HOW SHOULD THEY FEEL?

I'd say my books are dangerous. They have the gift to transform people. And: Who gets to read them not to finish up and will never be the same person. Therefore I make a warning: beware of my books. They turn readers into better human beings.

33. HOW MUCH THOUGHT GOES INTO DESIGNING A BOOK COVER?

Honestly, I believe that the presentation is important, but always leave the cover at the discretion of the editor. At most give my opinion, saying it liked it or not.

34. WHAT’S YOUR ULTIMATE DREAM?

You see my books published in countries around the world, from Australia to Russia. Indeed, one of my books (dog barking to the moon) is being translated into the Russian language.



35.   WRITING IS ONE THING. WHAT ABOUT MARKETING YOU, YOUR
BOOKS AND YOUR BRAND? ANY THOUGHTS?

Yes, do not just write books. Have to do marketing. I learned this today and use internet tools to promote my work, my name and my brand. We participate in blogs and literary magazines around the world, make contacts with editors, writers and literary agents, try to promote my books as much as possible. The market is very competitive and requires aggressive marketing, unfortunately.

36.  ARE YOUR BOOKS SELF-PUBLISHED?

No.

37. DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN FIVE WORDS.

Determined. perfectionist. Worker. Pragmatic. Humanist.

39. WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE LAST BOOK YOU READ? GOOD ONE?

Flowers of Evil (Baudelaire). I liked the book. When I get tired of writing and need to take a break, enjoy reading poetry. Me soothes and inspires me.

40.  WHAT WOULD BE THE VERY LAST SENTENCE YOU’D WRITE?

Here lies a writer - true.

41.  WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU HAPPIER THAN YOU ARE NOW? CARE
TO SHARE?

I would be very happy if tomorrow I receive e-mail from a publishing house in France, Australia or other big country I propose to publish one of my books.

42.  ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

I have almost nothing to add. I would like to thank you for the opportunity to be known by the blog readers and say that there is good literature in Brazil. Say, too, that to me would be an honor and a pleasure to any home Australian publisher was interested in my work as a writer. Many thanks to all, especially to Clancy, and see you soon.




Clancy's comment: A pleasure to have you, Luiz. I sincerely hope you do achieve your aim to have your books sold all over the world. Nothing would please me more than to see one of your books sitting beside one of mine in an Australian bookshop ... And both selling well. Keep writing, my friend.

I'm ...










Think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment