18 September 2014 - BARBARA A. MARTIN - Guest Author


BARBARA A. MARTIN

- Guest Author -

G'day folks,

Welcome to an interview conducted with an author and blogger from North Carolina, U.S.A - Barbara A. Martin.
Welcome, Barabara ...
 

1.    TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR BLOG’S JOURNEY.

During my freelance writing course, it was suggested authors should share their thoughts through a blog. I had a struggle deciding what to write about.  I finally chose two different types of blogs.

2.    WHAT IS THE AIM OF YOUR BLOG?

“LetsTalkBooks” I review books I’ve read and really liked.
“TheRealMe” is a personal blog where I talk about myself, which is hard for me.

3.    WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO CREATE A BLOG?

It was because of school and seeing how many blogs and bloggers were out there.

4.    WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

I love making up stories.  When people claim they talk to themselves, I say I’m having a conversation with a character.


5.    WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

I am a bit of a perfectionist and that causes trouble when I don’t think a scene or chapter reads right. I can do endless rewrites if I’m not careful.

6.    WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOUR BLOG?

I started as a registered nurse, but emotionally couldn’t handle it.  I then went into the business world as an administrative assistant; manager of the clerical office of a temporary employment service; my final career before retiring was as medical records coordinator at skilled nursing homes in Florida and North Carolina.

7.    WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT PROMOTING OTHERS?

I love letting others know how great someone else’s talent is or can be.

8.    WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?

As a blogger, I’m caught up on my weekly posts. I just reviewed a book by a British author that was extremely well done and I enjoyed telling the world about it.

9.    WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

My family, friends, two dogs and a cat make me laugh and cry.  They often give me the germ of an idea for a story.

10. ARE YOU A WRITER?

Yes I am.  I’ve been waiting since I was 11 years old to say that.


11. WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

I write ‘cosy’ mysteries.  I prefer the British derivative of cozy, because my stories make you want to curl up on the couch with a cup of tea and read my book, I hope.

12. DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

Yes. I cannot stress enough, especially to young writers, to read the classics of literature for guidance in style, structure and strong character development.

13. DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

At times I do.  When that happens I read a book that I’m not usually interested in like science fiction or fantasy.  It frees up my mind to think outside my own box.


14. DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

I usually write later in the day and into the night.  That’s when the house is the
most quiet.

15. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

I write sitting in my recliner in the living room with a laptop on my lap.  The
silly part is I have a perfectly good writing desk in the spare room that I never use.


16. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

It’s when someone tells me in person or through a review they really enjoyed my story.  That is the reason I write.

17. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

That’s a hard one, as I have several.  I have to say Kathy Reichs.  I’m a forensics addict and I learn something every time I read one of her books. She’s very methodical and detailed, without talking above her audience. She humanizes a very complicated science.

18. WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER OF YOUR BLOG?

It was from the author I reviewed this week.  He thanked me profusely and told me that he couldn’t have summed up his own book any better than I did.

19. WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

I was told my short stories were too short.  If that’s the worst I get, I’ll consider myself fortunate.

20. WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

No I’m not.  I write fiction and love to make things up.

21. OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?

Old movies from the 30s to 50s, especially the detective film noirs being my favourites.  I have quite a collection on dvd.

22. IF YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THE ENTIRE WORLD, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?

A good story should be able to stand on its own legs without throwing in gratuitous sex and profanity.



23. DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

Having a long lunch with my editor, who is also my best girlfriend; then going shopping at the mall.  Grabbing my chi latte at Starbucks and meeting my partner for dinner at our favourite restaurant.

24. WHAT ARE YOUR GREATEST ASSETS AS A WRITER?

I’m meticulous to a fault; I compose dialogue in my head all the time and my imagination is on the quirky side.

25. IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO BE? WHY?

My partner of 26 years, because if you can enjoy the company of one person that long you definitely have a good match.


26. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

I plan to continue writing, blogging and reaching out to other writers.  I’m really
enjoying the camaraderie with my fellow authors.

27. WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?

I won’t need the Bible so... Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen; A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens; The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe; Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte; The Complete Works of O. Henry by William Sydney Porter


28. ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?

I encourage anyone with a dream to never give up on that dream.  God’s timing is not our timing, so patience is of the utmost importance.







Clancy's comment: Go, Barbara. Well done. Keep going. 

I'm ...








Think about this!


No comments:

Post a Comment