- GUEST AUTHOR -
Today, I ask my toughest questions to an author from the UK.
Welcome, Ethan ...
1. Tell us about you and what you do.
I HAVE A FULL TIME JOB WHERE I WORK FOR A SCHOOLS IT COMPANY. I AM IN MY FORTIES AND AM NOW MARRIED WITH 5 CHILDREN. I KEEP MYSELF FIT AND ALWAYS WANTED TO WRITE SINCE I WAS TINY.
2. What was the happiest moment of your life?
MY CHILDREN BEING BORN
3. What was the saddest moment?
MY GF DYING AND ME FINDING THE BODY
4. What surprised you most?
PEOPLE SEEM TO NOT WORK OUT I KNOW VERY LITTLE. I KEEP EXPECTING TO BE ACCUSED OF BEING A FRAUD AND HAVING NO DEFENCE
5. What was your greatest disappointment?
MY MUM DYING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND NOT BEING AROUND TO SEE MY CHILDREN GROW UP
6. Who did you misjudge? Why?
SOMEONE I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO HELP ME GET MY BOOK MADE INTO A FILM BUT HE RAN OFF WITH MINE AND MY FRIENDS MONEY. I GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE EXCITEMENT OF IT ALL
7. What or who was your biggest challenge?
MY FILM AND BOOK PROJECT. MAKING THEM HAPPEN AND CARRY ON WITH EVERYTHING ELSE.
8. What has been your biggest regret?
I NEVER HAVE REGRETS. I LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL, ALWAYS SAY SORRY AND ALWAYS TRY TO BE THE BEST VERSION OF ME. I DON’T WANT TO BE OLD AND IN A NAPPY IN A HOME WISHING I HAD DONE SOMETHING
9. What would be your dying comment? Why?
A PIECE OF ADVICE. DON’T LET TEARDROPS RUST A SHINING HEART. AN IDEA YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE BY.
10. Who or what stunned you the most?
MY WIFE. SHE NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME
11. What would you like written on your tombstone? Why?
THANK YOU. A PHRASE WE FORGET TO EASILY.
12. Who would you rather have not met? Why?
THERE IS NO ONE. PEOPLE MAKE YOU STRONGER AND BETTER, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER
13. Who were you most envious of? Why?
A NEGATIVE EMOTION. YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE. ASPIRATION NOT ENVY.
14. Who did you forgive – for doing something you never thought you’d forgive?
MY BEST FRIEND WHO WASN’T AROUND WHEN I NEEDED THEM THE MOST. TIME REALLY DOES HEAL.
15. What was your greatest moment in your life?
TOMORROW. ALWAYS TOMORROW.
16. What is your greatest achievement?
A BOOK, A FILM, A FAMILY I ADORE. I AM PROUD OF IT ALL.
17. What personal traits would you like to have in your next life?
BE EMOTIONALLY STRONGER. BE MORE MUSICAL.
18. What advice would you give to world leaders?
SORT IT OUT AND BE REMEMBERED FOR DOING SOMETHING POSITIVE
19. What advice would you give to parents today?
SPEND AS MUCH TIME WITH YOUR CHILDREN AS YOU CAN. PLAY WITH THEM. MAKE THEM FEEL LOVED.
20. Who would you choose to be stuck on a desert island with?
MADONNA. MARTIN LUTHER KING. MICHAEL JACKSON. ALFRED HITCHCOCK.
21. Have any heroes? Why? Who?
AGATHA CHRISTIE. CONSISTENTLY GREAT STORIES. GENIUS
22. What are the greatest legacies you will leave behind?
A BODY OF CREATIVE WORK.
23. What’s lacking in the world today?
24. Any pearls of wisdom for the rest of us?
NOTHING TOO DEEP. JUST KISS THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE EVERY DAY
25. What would be the last sentence you ever write?
TIME TO SLEEP NOW
26. What inspired you most?
MY MUM. SHE WORKED SO HARD TO MAKE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, YET WAS A WONDERFUL MUM AND A GREAT NAN. AND SHE HAD THE SOFTEST SKIN WHEN I KISSED HER GOOD NIGHT.
27. Who or what made you laugh the most?
LEE MACK. A MODERN DAY COMIC GENIUS.
28. What would be your top three chosen careers in your next life?
WRITER. FOOTBALLER. SONGWRITER
29. What is your prime focus in life today?
TO FORGE A CAREER IN WRITING AND WATCH MY CHILDREN GROW
30. Do you have any fear of doing something wrong?
NOT ANY MORE. IT CAN CONSUME YOU IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. JUST LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES.
31. If or when you reflect on your past, can you identify any world events that you believe had a significant impact on you?
THE DEATH OF PRINCESS DIANA. IT MADE ME REALISE ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, AT ANY TIME
32. Do you think one can live a purposeful life without knowing the meaning of life?
WE ALL DO EVERY DAY
33. From your perspective - what is the way forward for the world?
MIDDLE GROUND. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE. IF WE ALL COMPROMISE ANYTHING CAN BE ACHIEVED.
34. Imagine that you were given a chance to live again, what will you do first and what will you do differently?
I WOULD HAVE SPENT MORE TIME WITH MY GRANDPARENTS. OH AND NOT BEEN SO DIFFICULT WITH TRYING NEW FOODS. I WOULDN’T TRY AND CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD, JUST MY BIT OF IT.
35. Do you have a bucket list? Tell us more.
BE THERE ON THE FIRST DAY OF FILMING FOR MY FILM
BE THERE AT THE PREMIERE, ANONYMOUSLY, SO I CAN SEE WHAT PEOPLE REALLY THINK
BECOME A GRANDPARENT
WALK MY CHILDREN UP THE AISLE (BUT NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER)
WRITE MORE ‘STUFF’
36. Any great claims to fame?
MY FILM PROJECT, LEARNING AS I HAVE GONE ALONG
37. Anything you’d like to add?
WE DON’T CARE ENOUGH AND WE ARE NOT HUMBLE ENOUGH. THOSE 2 THINGS WOULD GO SOME WAY TO MAKING THINGS BETTER
Clancy's comment: Thank you, Ethan. These are tough questions, but you were brutally honest. Well done.