24 October 2019 - KIM WHEELER - GUEST AUTHOR, PHOTOGRAPHER AND POET


 KIM WHEELER
 - GUEST AUTHOR, 
PHOTOGRAPHER AND POET -

G'day folks,

Today, I interview a very talented and generous man with whom I've spoken many times via skype from the UK. Kim is now living in Indonesia and we are still Skyping. 

Welcome, Kim ...




1.   Tell us about you and what you do.



I was born in London in July 1954 and was dumped by my birth mother, no known father, spent formative years in children’s home which left an indelible mark on my life and made me stronger for the experience and not weaker. I am a published author of twelve books though three are no longer available. I am also an award-winning photographer (which changed my view on mother earth, seeing her utter beauty which I hadn’t really noticed before being too busy with work). I rescue dogs which I have now done for twenty-five years and just completed a re-written version of Rescue Dog Rescues Man with a shiny new name ‘When Your Best Friend is a Dog.’(out soon) I have worked in many different jobs, failed selection for the army three times (blessing in disguise) worked in petrol stations pumping petrol, gas fitter, lathe turner, professional decorator, HGV Class One driver, short spell as Driver Bodyguard and quite a few dead-end jobs. Now after a succession of injuries and near death took early retirement and became a writer and a published author of several different genres of books including children’s, award winning poet, biography and photography books but now I teach English at UKRI University in Bandung, Indonesia which is without doubt the most fulfilling and enjoyable job I have ever had and it’s something I always wanted to do but always thought that I was under qualified, how wrong was I?? I also give my time for free.





2.   What was the happiest moment of your life?



I got two Clance…being born and getting married



3.   What was the saddest moment?



Losing a brother to Cancer and putting four of my rescue dogs to sleep…and knowing I will have to put more of these faithful once unwanted and unloved friends to sleep, gets me every time...but however painful this is for me, I won’t stop rescuing.



4.   What surprised you most?





 



5.   What was your greatest disappointment?



In short Clancy, humanity for being too weak, too feeble to fight and too apathetic to make the changes this world needs, rather relying on others to do their dirty work for them while they sit and shout at the television about how wrong the world is but if this is a personal question about my greatest disappointment then I would have to say failing the army because I knew at a young age that I needed strong discipline, first I was too young to join and the other two times being just not physically  fit enough. It would have saved me from myself and I certainly wouldn’t have accepted that joint that someone passed me those many years ago. I needed to toughen up not fail myself time and time again.



6.   Who did you misjudge? Why?



Friends, hoping for a lifetime of closeness and brotherly love only to feel utterly betrayed when my life changed (for the better) after a series of injury’s and life-threatening illness.



7.   What or who was your biggest challenge?



Myself, trusting, finding love, accepting my life and not being so angry at it and forgiveness of what appears to be so many but my expectations of love was destroyed and trying to fill that huge void from birth was always going to be an enormous struggle, happily I got there in the end but it took a lifetime of pain to eventually find.



8.   What has been your biggest regret?



Perhaps giving in too easily and happily jumping thru fire in order to be accepted and wanted.






9.   What would be your dying comment? Why?



To my wife, ‘to continue your work as an ambassador for good and for God, to become a world leader and the first female Muslim President of Indonesia, use my strength to help the weak and to carry on our stoic work with the frightened, the poor, the unwanted and unloved, I love you to eternity Zora, you are and always will be, my light in dark blue oceans.



As for why Clancy…I was a broken man struggling to see the point in living at all with myself whose dogs were my only true friends, who lived alone and had very few honest and trustworthy friends, this lady helped me by loving me for who I was, for understanding and accepting my physical and mental scars and I carried many, never ever thinking or believing I was a bad person and she was right. I wasn’t but I felt I was.



10.                Who or what stunned you the most?



The power of silent prayer for others needs and not your own, it works, my God does it work.



11.       What would you like written on your tombstone? Why?



Faithful Husband and father of two, animal lover, rescuer, teacher and friend.


As for why Clancy, six or my best attributes if I am to be honest.



12.      Who would you rather have not met? Why?



There’s quite a list here of people who have hurt me beyond reason but I have learnt that without these bad people I wouldn’t have grown so strong but if I have to name names then I would say those who so physically and mentally abused me during my childhood. No child deserves that.



13.                Who were you most envious of? Why?



Jimi Hendrix...need I say more



14.                Who did you forgive – for doing something you never thought you’d forgive?



My birth Mother Kathy (who at the time of my birth was a prostitute) and the man who paid to have sex with her resulting in me. It’s difficult to forgive such cruelty but I wasn’t prepared to carry even more scars with me for the rest of my life and forgiveness for me was closure but believe me when I say, it was not easy. Truth is in her abandoning me was actually the best thing that could have ever happened even though life after 5 days old was hell in a children’s home but certainly better than it would have been with her, and without the sperm donor, who doesn’t even have a name I would not be here, so grateful for small mercies






15.                What was your greatest moment in your life?



Having the balls to see my life as it was when I was at the bottom of my very own shit pit, and find the inner strength to climb again and again out of this cold dark lonely hole to become who I am today, by having the balls to completely change absolutely everything in my life, moving away from so called friends, giving up the drugs, the alcohol, the bad volatile attitude, and moving country after I was healed sufficiently to start life anew.



16.                What is your greatest achievement?



Rescuing and continuing to rescue dogs because the loss is unbearable and knowing that one day, I will have to say goodbye is without doubt the hardest emotion that I have ever faced.



17.                What personal traits would you like to have in your next life?



Parents would be nice Clance…sorry I digress, I think better, wiser stronger, decision making to listen to me and not fall in to the trap of believing others



18.                What advice would you give to world leaders?



You are NOT God…Remove your ego and be prepared to listen and to be wrong when you try to change the world.



19.                What advice would you give to parents today?



Love and never-ending patience, and never ever hit a child.



20.                Who would you choose to be stuck on a desert island with?



My wife...

21.                Have any heroes? Why? Who?



John, Paul, George and Ringo, my childhood friends thru unfriendly days and nights who were the most incredible talented bunch of guys you could wish to have as heroes and no getting naked like todays so called celebs, no bad attitudes or foul language, just four guys who wrote and performed some of the best music ever written and I still listen to them most weeks some fifty years later.

 



 What are the greatest legacies you will leave behind?



No matter how many times you fall down never ever give up and never ever give up being a good guy and help anyone/anything who needs you’re support from the poor starving to the abandoned animal who needs it without expecting anything in return.



What’s lacking in the world today?



LOVE & PATIENCE



22.                Any pearls of wisdom for the rest of us?



If you have more than you need then, give and donate anything that you really don’t need.



23.                What would be the last sentence you ever write?



‘Wow, what a journey.’



24.                What inspired you most?



Failure…



Below is one of my favourite quotes

Q, what’s the secret of success?

A, right decisions

Q, how do you make right decisions?

A, experience

Q, how do you gain experience

A, wrong decisions



25.                Who or what made you laugh the most?



British sense of humour/comedy such as Monty Python, Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnie’s and more lately Frankie Boyle.



26.                What would be your top three chosen careers in your next life?



Formula one racing driver, Author, Astronaut.






27.      What is your prime focus in life today?



Hopefully to help others understand the importance of how pets are so intrinsic to the wellbeing of the sad, broken, injured or those who suffer with mental health issues including PTSD as I know from experiencing all the aforementioned how my dogs changed my life. To continue giving my time for free in teaching students life skills and English and to continue being one of the good guys for others to emulate and to continue being a good husband, father, animal lover and dog rescuer.



28.                Do you have any fear of doing something wrong?



No, not really as I have after many years of getting so much wrong finally taught myself to wait, to be patient, to breath and to not rush into any rash decisions.



29.                If or when you reflect on your past, can you identify any world events that you believe had a significant impact on you?

Most wars including Vietnam, the lies surrounding 911, but especially the lies to take the USA and the UK to war in the Middle East and the death of Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon I don’t often do tears but when these two died, I cried.


30.     Do you think one can live a purposeful life without knowing the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is our own perspective of reality and as none of us really know the answer to that, my response to this clever question Clancy is, ‘yes, of course’.



31.                 From your perspective - what is the way forward for the world? 



Love Mother Earth more, respect the earths climate is changing and adhere to the rules of life as we will never ever win any battle against nature, stop the cruelty to all animals, become vegetarian, do not vote for lying, selfish, greedy politicians be man enough to make changes to self and others, do not be so easily led and fooled and stop the incessant need to go on safari trips in order to take selfies, and leave wildlife alone and to stop destroying the worlds heritage sites just so you can share your photographs on pithy sites like Facebook/Twitter and Instagram just for a puerile ‘like’ and to CLOSE all circuses and the barbaric treatment of animals in bull fighting and bull riding and finally for the NRA to wake up and see what damage you are doing to yourselves and the USA



32.                Imagine that you were given a chance to live again, what will you do first and what will you do differently?

Hopefully take on all that I have learnt from this incredible journey into my next life and just try to improve myself in becoming a better person, to be more patient, more understanding, to give more than I take or need. There’s lots of things that I didn’t have in this life, like my parents so having the love of a Mother and Father would be a bonus but I did pretty well without them in this life.

33.                 Do you have a bucket list? Tell us more.

Not getting any younger Clance, and the scars hurt so anything physical is now out of the question though I would have loved to have swam with a whale, skydived and climbed Everest but that’s gone now so I would love to write a best selling book and donate the money to those who need it most and perhaps paddle alongside some friendly dolphins






34.                Any great claims to fame?

None really but going from an orphanage, an uneducated, non-speaking, broken child with just hope in his eyes to have a better life to finally become a teacher of English and life skills in UKRI University takes some doing. I am proud of that ‘small for others but large for me,’ achievement.



35.       Anything you’d like to add?



Yes, I would like to say a special thank you to Clancy, writer, award winning author and photographer who over the years has become as close as a brother to me - a wise, generous, bloody funny, bald, forthright, angry as a Philips screwdriver, no nonsense man, who takes absolutely no shit from anyone,  for not just being a bloody close, supportive and loyal friend, but for giving me the chance to again appear on his blog.



Clance you are a diamond…, it’s an honour for me to have a friend like you in my life...live long and prosper…love your work…






Clancy's comment: Well, folks, I did have the pleasure of writing my thoughts on the back cover of Kim's book, 'Light and Dark', and I thought it was worth sharing. My words sum things up fairly well.


LIGHT & DARK REVIEW


Kim Wheeler is the master at expressing his inner thoughts and feelings in words. He is also a great photographer and poet. With seven published books to his name, he continues to impress me. His poetry is often gut-wrenching and brutally honest, but I admire any male who can express himself so frankly. It shows a personality that is striving to be the best person possible.



Kim’s photographs also show an exceptional talent. As a published author and photographer myself, I can relate to the connection between words on a page and taking photographs.



This is a thought-provoking book that has taken great courage to compile.



Clancy Tucker

Award-winning Australian author and photographer. 

I'm ...









 






2 comments:

  1. Nice change up from the usual questions Clancy, and WOW, what a powerful and interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamian. Interesting author and photographer.
      CT

      Delete