27 February 2018 - NATALIE WANNER - GUEST BLOGGER





NATALIE WANNER
- GUEST BLOGGER -

G'day folks,

Today, I welcome and interview another writer and blogger from the USA.

Welcome, Natalie ...


1.   TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR BLOG’S JOURNEY.
I developed ‘Crazy on the Inside’ as a journal to express my anxieties, fears and concerns about becoming a typical suburban wife and mother. I struggled with the mundane and monotony of everyday life. I started writing the blog about a year after I opened my marriage and found it was the best therapy to let go of other’s expectations and live my own life. It’s become my platform for my book “Married and Single at the Same Time” and remains an outlet for me to tell my journey and the ongoing struggle and freedom of breaking out of the female box.

2.   WHAT IS THE AIM OF YOUR BLOG?
Initially I created my blog for myself as an outlet to polish my writing skills, and although that still holds true today I really enjoy the feedback I get about how my story makes others think about their own. Now, I just want to tell my story…but everyone is welcome to read.

3.   WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO CREATE A BLOG?
My love of writing and the want to share my story as a way to break away from the ‘norm’ and develop a new narrative to my life.

4.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
Being able to tell my own story in my own words. Writing allows me to express myself in a way that works for me and assists me in bringing out my creative side to paint an even more vivid picture for my readers.

5.   WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?
When I can’t write a sentence or, I’ll find a few hours in a day and more times than not I’ll stare at my computer screen or out the back window of my house trying to find something interesting to say.

6.   WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOUR BLOG?
I worked with high-risk federal offenders in the community for almost a decade. I worked with a not for profit society that help those affected by crime. I worked in the criminal justice field hoping for law school but when I was able to witness the broken system first hand I knew it wasn’t for me. Now I can’t believe I was ever on that path…writing unleashed my creative being and the rest is history.

7.   WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT PROMOTING OTHERS?
Being supportive and excited for others who are in the same space that are also just trying to get their work and name out into the universe.



8.   WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I am working with my agents and editor to polish my book, “Married and Single at the Same Time”. I wrote it over the span of two years with a coach while taking a creative writing class in NYC one day a month.

9.   WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
My children, my son, Bailey, is 20 years old and in his third year at the university. He is the most passionate and driven individual I have had the pleasure to know…let alone give birth to.

Everything he does, he does with heart. My daughter, Fiona, she is five years old and finding her way through the world. She constantly reminds me that it’s more important to live the way you want and be incredible happy. She amazes me with her independence and kind heart. Together they show me fearlessness, confidence and happiness. Imagine being able to live without care of what other’s think or how society thinks you should be…that is ultimate freedom and they inspire me to reach for that.

10.               ARE YOU A WRITER?
I am!

11.               WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?
I write narrative non-fiction, about my life’s experiences.

12.               DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?
Fuck the so-called rules…just write.

13.               DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?
It doesn’t happen often and I think it’s because I write about my experiences but I have been blocked when trying to set a scene or create a conversation.

14.               DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?
Morning, I love to write in the early morning. But I am not above writing at anytime my five year old doesn’t need a second for Barbie’s.

15.               DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?
My kitchen table, I am surrounded by windows and sky.

16.               WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?
Being able to express myself in my own way, without regret or apology. The freedom writing gives me is incredible.



17.               WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?
Sylvia Plath, when I read her words I can feel her pain and that connects me to her in a way that keeps me coming back to her.

18.               WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER OF YOUR BLOG?
I had an editor tell me that I have a gift of being able to pull others emotions out through my words. That was powerful to me because it’s important to connect with someone’s voice and words in order to really understand the story. 

19.               WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?
It’s never about my writing; it’s about my lifestyle and how they don’t agree with it because I am a mother…oh well.

20.               WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?
Yes, of course. As a non-fiction writer I write about my life, or this phase of it, I am constantly picking things out of my past to paint my story.

21.               OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?
I love traveling, reading and volunteering at my daughter’s school. I have a lot of passions but those are definitely at the top.

22.               IF YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TO THE ENTIRE WORLD, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?
Be kind, don’t judge, help when you can and try to never cause pain. Don’t let society choose your path and live the life you desire because no one cares so long as you are kind

23.               DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.
Anytime my words are flowing and my family is happy is a pretty perfect day, but I guess selling my book and moving to NYC would be a very close second.

24.               WHAT ARE YOUR GREATEST ASSETS AS A WRITER?
I’m an emotional and dramatic being and that feeds my writing and helps to connect my readers with their own emotions.

25.               IF YOU WERE STUCK ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONE PERSON, WHO WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO BE? WHY?
My husband, Daniel, he is goodness in every way possible. His love and respect for me is infinite. He makes me laugh like nothing else and supports my choices. With him I know I will be challenged and never judged, he is my greatest friend.

26.               WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
Currently co-writing my second book and polishing my first so it can head to publishers. I just want to write and hopefully one day I will make the move to New York City with my family.



27.               WHAT FIVE BOOKS WOULD YOU TAKE TO HEAVEN?
The Bell Jar
The Red Tent
1984
Catcher in the Rye
The Sun Also Rises

28.               ANYTHING YOU’D LIKE TO ADD?
I wrote my book three times for over two years and queried over 200 agents before I got a ‘YES’…the ‘yes’ is not what made me a writer, it just meant I had more support as a writer. My story is the legacy I will leave for my children and I am grateful that I am able to tell it in my own words.












Clancy's comment: Thank you, Natalie. Good luck with the book and future sales.

I'm ...













No comments:

Post a Comment